August 8, 2009

Edamame Fried Rice

'For, dear me, why abandon a belief
merely because it ceases to be true?
cling to it long enough, and not a doubt
it will turn true again, for so it goes."

~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage

Thirty days..this has been the longest time I am missing from my blog without any notice . I guess it happens at times in life when you constantly juggle between work, home, blogging, household chores, groceries, library, work again - that one can't juggle any more. I had to take a moment to breath and get back to myself. :)

Today's recipe features a kind of bean which I have never tried before. We all know that beans are an excellent source of cholesterol-lowering fiber and when combined with whole grains such as brown rice, these beans provide a fat-free high quality protein, which is very much necessary to incorporate in our daily diets.

Edamame is a popular soya bean variety from Japan and is a 'wonder veggie' which has numerous health benefits. The recipe featured today is a simple fried rice with the goodness of both beans and wholegrains. It is a complete meal in itself and can be made as a lunch/dinner item.




Edamame Fried Rice

Ingredients:

1.5 cups shot-grained brown rice, cooked (substitute: white rice,any kind)
1/2 cup edamame beans, boiled in water until tender
1 egg, beaten
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp soya sauce
1/4 tsp (toasted) sesame oil (optional)
1 tsp canola oil
salt & pepper (optional)

Preparation:

1. Heat oil in a large pan, add garlic and onion. Saute until golden brown and aromatic. (3-4 mins).

2. Add edamame and rice into the pan to cook for 5-6 mins. Adjust salt & pepper if needed.

3. Make a well into the center of rice mixture. Add a very small amount of oil, then add the egg, cook until entirely scrambled. Stir the egg into rice mixture.

4. Finally add soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. Mix through. Serve hot.

Variation: One can add tofu to give it a more sumptuous twist.


This is my entry to My Legume Love Affair 14 hosted by Susan. :)

Have a weekend ahead.

Siri

7 comments :

  1. It feels strange for me, too, when I've been away from blogging for a while.

    Thank you, Siri, for your MLLA recipe. Edamame with brown rice is a great, healthy team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished eating, yet I am hungry again after looking at this!I love boiled Edamame pods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks simple, healthy and tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back Siri. Rice looks simple and healthy,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to add some protein into our diet, looks inviting !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This rice really looks delicious! One of my favorite things to do with food I really love is pair it with a palette pleasing drink. Mixed Drinks Made Easy! offers hundreds of drink recipes that you can pair with your favorite foods for a real celebration of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this today, my husband and I loved it. So simple yet so good!! I am going to enjoy trying your recipes one by one!!! Kelly

    ReplyDelete

'Thought is the blossom; language the bud; action the fruit behind it' ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for taking time to leave your feedback.

Note: Any comments with external links will not be published.

Siri

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...