August 24, 2010

Back to Basics: Jazz Up your water & a blog-o-anniversary!

Drinking enough water per day is important to maintain our bodies properly hydrated. But, isn't it always boring to bland-tasting water every time we are thirsty. And I definitely don't recommend the sugar-loaded drinks that we get for couple of cents in every supermarket.

My rule of thumb is - "if you see 'SUGAR' listed in the first 2-3 items in the ingredient list (at the back of any water-down-drink), it is best to avoid that."

Good news is that with a minimal effort, we can make *drinking water* exciting, naturally - by flavoring with frozen fruit/vegetable cubes.





Jazz up your water: Frozen Carrot cubes

Adapted from The Kitchn

1. Because my carrrots were a bit old, I slightly peeled their skin off. But, for the fresh ones, I suggest wash & scrub the carrots thoroughly and keep the skin. Cut them into small pieces.



2. In a blender, puree the carrot pieces just with enough water. (don't make it too runny). Pour them into the ice trays and Freeze for couple of hours.


3. Pop one carrot cube into a glass water with some add-ons like honey or fresh lemon or mint. If it is hot summer, add some ice cubes too. It ready to drink. Isn't it better than drinking 8 glasses of just water, the whole day!


Other variations are

- blended fruit such as watermelon, grapes, cherries etc. with or without herbs like mint.
- frozen lemonade
- frozen fruit juice (with or without pulp)
- blended vegetables (with or without vegetable juice)....the possibilities are just endless.


I am sending this as an entry to Aqua's Back to Basics II event, originally started by Jaya. Do check out Back to Basics I roundup. I simply loved it. :)

[UPDATE]: Wow, I just now realized that August 24th 2010 marks the completion of 3 years of my blogging. It's my tiny, little baby's birthday today. :).  And, this is my 301th post. How cool is that...:D :D. Thank you Thank you Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all you wonderful people out there who read my blog and leave your sweet comments. Believe me, they mean a lot to [ME] . :)



until next time,
Siri

17 comments :

  1. its a very useful post ...thank q siri for wonderful tips

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on three years of blogging Siri. Keep blogging. :)

    I love your tip. I am glad you liked the roundup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Siri, Congrats dear 2 achievments, 3 years and 301 posts, what a coincience :)

    Love the idea of flavoring water. I drink a lot of water, so a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! Mirch Masala also completes 3 yrs next month..can't believe we started blogging almost simultaneously!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your blog anniversary and to the 301 post Siri.

    Great tip to flavor the water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats such a nice and healthy twist !
    I really loved the idea of "Flavored" water.
    And happy third Birthday..I am sure we are gonna celebrate many more here !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for a super entry Siri! It is not only an excellent way to drink water but also a very nice way to consume fruits/veggies.

    And congratulations on your 3 yrs of blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My blog says same pinch! FLF completed 3 yrs too this month. :) Wishing you many more years and I love what you have done to this space, it's been so long since I stopped by...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the blog-anniversary siri :)
    Looking forward for many more!

    Like the new header a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many more happy returns to your blog siri! And nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Im going to try it with some peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your 3 yr mark... the drink looks great and ofcourse your rule of thumb is something that should be followed to stay healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you everybody for your lovely comments. :).

    Hugs to all,
    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy blog anniversary.. A very useful tip indeed.. I try making my kid drink water with cumin seeds.. but thats always at vain.. This should help.. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

'Thought is the blossom; language the bud; action the fruit behind it' ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for taking time to leave your feedback.

Note: Any comments with external links will not be published.

Siri

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...