September 6, 2008

WBB: Sun-dried tomato Couscous

Scene 1: There are times when I reach home so tired, that I have no patience to cook an elaborate meal,yet wanna have something healthy and yummy to taste. One thing that comes to my mind is - 'Couscous'(\ˈküs-ˌküs\).

Scene 2: Its Monday morning, the lousiest ever. I am running late, for my meeting at 9:30am at office. No time to cook. I am terribly sick of classy restaurant lunches of DC. Wanna have something nice, which tastes yummy till afternoon (with a quick re-heat in MW). Oh ya, that reminds me of none other than - 'Couscous'(\ˈküs-ˌküs\).



Couscous (love the way its pronounced!) consists spherical granules made by rolling and shaping moistened semolina wheat and then coating them with finely ground wheat flour.

(Source: Wikipedia)

The traditional variety is a bit elaborate to cook, but the 'instant' variety which we get in any of the grocery stores is pre-steamed and dried. It just needs to be added with some hot water and covered up for about 5 mins and its ready to serve. The 'bland' taste of couscous gives us room to mix in our choicest flavors and it tastes equally good with whatever you serve with!

My current flavor of the month is - tangy 'Sun-dried Tomatoes' and here I am, serving some yummy - Sun-dried Tomato Couscous!!! Enjoi..:)



Ingredients:

2 cups vegetable stock
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 package instant plain couscous (10 oz)
1/2 cup (oil packed) Sun-dried Tomatoes, drained, finely diced
1/2 cup veggies - I used broccoli, baby corn and whole sweet peas.
2 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp butter (or olive oil)
Salt & Pepper

Preparation:

1. Heat butter in a sauce pan and saute the veggies and the diced sun-dried tomatoes for about 3-5 mins.

2. Add vegetable stock and stir in garlic powder and vinegar. Season with salt & pepper. Bring the contents to a boil.

3. Place the couscous in a large heat-proof bowl and pour the stock (from step 2) over it. Cover and Let it steam for 5-7 minutes.

4. Fluff the contents with a fork and mix in the chopped fresh basil. It tastes yummy when served hot or at room temparature.

When cold, its serves as a great salad too!

Off this goes to Aparna's WBB: Grains in my breakfast event, initiated by Nandita, this being an amazing quick yet healthy breakfast/brunch/dinner!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, time to have some fun with cute e-cards. what say?

For instance...


Send this eCard !



One can find many such 'Food and Drink Invitations' here. We can also add these to sites like - blogger, facebook, myspace and hoards of other websites. Aren't they cute and funny!

I am having a lousy Saturday today, with weather so gloomy (its been raining since morning!)..am trying to spice it up with 'Harry Potter - the Secret of Chambers' book. Did you know we are having a Harry Potter special this month for 'this book makes me cook' event. If you are one of ardent aficionado of HP, just like me..do participate and share your HP crazzinesss with all of us!

Reminder: This month's theme for 'Monthly Blog Patrol' (a.k.a MBP) is 'Say Cheese'...do send in your favorite cheese recipes to me.. I am waiting!!!

Have a great Sunday ahead!

Cheers,
Siri

14 comments :

  1. Havent tried my hand at couscous dishes..looks simple n healthy..Nice card Siri..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing quite like a quick and healthy breakfast.
    Thanks for marking this for WBB. I'll wait for the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Onlu couscous can be ready under 5 minutes Siri! Love the sun dried tomo twist! Cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so delicious!nice shot siri:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Couscous!! Great photo.. looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Sun dried tomato is wonderful and I am sure ti would have tasted great with couscous.

    Where do we post for "this book makes me cook" HP event. I would like to send in some thing for this event. Please let me know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We would like to feature your couscous on our blog. Please email haleyglasco@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

    Haley

    blog.keyingredient.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. mm..someone has time to post but not to call..mm....

    Couscous is my handy dandy be all end all most of the times..:) good one Siri

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good bf recipe...easy to make..wonderful presentation.. perfect!..is the word! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never made couscous before... I fear over-cooking it... is that a possibility?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I finished the Prisoner of Azkaban. And there end my favorite Harry Potters. I don't like books 4-7 that much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely breakfast siri!! I have all the mentioned ingredients at home, will try it and let you know how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Couscous looking yum...looks real instant! And the ecard is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete

'Thought is the blossom; language the bud; action the fruit behind it' ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for taking time to leave your feedback.

Note: Any comments with external links will not be published.

Siri

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...