December 28, 2009

Basic Home-made Granola Mix

It is a well-known fact that 'High Fructose Corn Syrup'(HFCS), commonly used in processed foods has negative effects on our body. Though eaten in moderation, it wouldn't pose any immediate threat...its pre-dominancy in almost every packaged product these days is a matter of concern to me. I always check the label of any product to make sure that it doesn't have any high amounts of HFCS. I was surprised to see that even my favorite brand of granola bar had large amounts HFCS..

...that is when my rummage for a fool-proof granola mix began.. I wanted to try a basic version first and then try to tweak the recipe...my hunt ended at one of my favorite blogger - Nupur's post and was pleasantly thrilled at the sheer simplicity of the recipe. I made this today, in an hour at most - from start to finish, with the minimal natural ingredients I had in my pantry today and guess what, I am ready for a second batch.. It was that good. I packed them in air-tight containers, ready to be gifted to my friends..:) Happy Holidays everyone..!!!


Basic Home-made Granola mix



Ingredients:

3 cups instant rolled oats
1 cup raw mixed nuts, chopped [I used cashews, almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts & walnuts]
1 cup dried raisins and dried cranberries (together)
1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
1/4 cup cane sugar
3 tbsp water

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven for 325 F

2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl - mix oats and nuts.

3. In a microwave safe bowl, mix cane sugar with 3 tbsp of water and MW for 50-60 seconds. (make sure sugar is completely dissolved and it has syrupy-consistency)

4. Add the sugar syrup to oats& nuts and stir well so that they are evenly coated.

5. Pour the oats & nuts mixture on a (lightly greased) baking sheet and bake for 25 mins, stirring 2-3 times in regular intervals. Then add raisins, chopped dates and cranberries & bake for 5 more mins.

6. Cool the mixture and then store in an air-tight container.

Serve with yogurt and fruit :)) Yummy! 




Thanks Nupur for such a lovely recipe and am ready now to make a variety of versions of it - with different fruit based syrup, honey-sugar syrup, dark mollases-honey-sugar syrup (just like Nupur's recipe asked for) etc etc.. I have so many ideas..and I wish to do them all..:))).

Today is Day Four of our recipe countdown to New Year..browse through the side-bar to see what everyone else is cooking.

until tomorrow,

9 comments :

  1. Home made granola..munch crunch time..You know siri, I must have checked here a dozen times today, wanted to see what yummy stuff you are gonna make ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY :)

    I'm glad the recipe worked for you, I think I make this more often than I make any other recipe because my significant other scarfs it down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delectable Mix, Siri! :)

    All the best for you marathon..
    And here's wishing you a fantastic year ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely very clever to make these at home..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning pics Siri...M sure it tastes equally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, I seem to have all the ingredients for this in my house, and it looks and sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have all the ingredients too! It makes such a thoughtful gift to give away, not to mention healthy too! My daughter is very partial to oats ... so this is definitely going to be a hit with her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Siri,

    Firstime around here. You have an awesome well organised site with great drool-worthy pictures.

    I am inspired too by Nupur's Granola, wanna begin making at home from now on. Bravo!

    Cheerz
    Ashwini.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that was the crunch i heard this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete

'Thought is the blossom; language the bud; action the fruit behind it' ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for taking time to leave your feedback.

Note: Any comments with external links will not be published.

Siri

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...