October 1, 2007

Simple Tomato Pilaf

A Large tomato, Onions and Rice with some spices - what can go wrong. It has to be yummy.. Isn't it. Today, I was so lazy to prepare something elaborate; so thought of preparing some of my oldies: recipes I used to make so often - until I get bored, yet they are so handy and easy in such lazy times...:D.



Tomato Pilaf/ Rice is one such oldie. My mom taught me this when I was in my 6th class. Others were aloo fry, egg bujji and plain dal. I was so proud of myself when I made tomato rice for the first time and I must have told for a dozen people that I was the one who cooked it. hehe.. I miss all those childhood days...:)

Ok enough of boring you guys, I will go straight to the recipe now...

Ingredients:

Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Tomatoes - 2
Onion - 1
Green Chillies - 2
Salt - to taste
Garam Masala - 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric - 1/2 tbsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/4 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves - for garnishing

Preparation:

1. Wash the rice and keep aside
2. In pressure cooker, add oil, cumin seeds and let them splutter. Then add onions and ginger garlic paste - Saute them till golden brown.
3. Then add tomatoes, green chillies,salt, turmeric, garam masala and chilli powder - mix the contents well and let them cook for few mins.
4. Add rice and 3 cups of water to the mixture.
5. Pressure cook the contents for 2 whistles max.
6. Garnish with coriander and Serve hot with onion raita or plain yogurt.



Have you ever tried having the tomato rice with rasam. Ooooooh.. it tastes awesome.. I just love the combo. I know its wierd but do try it once after food is all about fun right..:D. :D.. Adieu for now guys..

23 comments :

  1. I've been postponing to do this since ONE long year....'ll try your fav combo too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tomato Rice but my husband can get picky at times with this so don't make it too often. Yours is tempting me. You learnt to cook when in 6th std? That's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! I still have some yellow pear tomatoes left in my garden,could use this recipe!:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. this recipe is so nostalgic for me...my mom makes something similar. Its absolutely comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. siri..this sounds soo good and easy too...rasam and tomato rice hmmm... should try this one out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ apple: Do try this time dear. I am sure u will love the combo..:D

    @ Lavanya: Ya, had to learn as my mom is a working mom...:)

    @ Asha: Thanks Ashaji. I am sure this recipe wud be nice with ur yellow pear tomatoes too...:D

    @ Tee: Thanks dear. It feels good to make such comforting and oldie recipes once in a while..

    @ Rajitha: Do try the rasam and tomato rice combo dear.. Its absolutely heavenly.. hope u will like it..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tomato rice is my fav & so is R's..so make it quite a lot. I add a sprig of mint as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not only simple but delicious too Siri. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them but my hubby and daughter don't like it. So these days i never make them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Shankari: A sprg of mint wud give nice taste to it dear. But, I like coriander when compared to mint. So, didn't add..:D. glad to know that its ur fav too.

    @ Viji: Thanks dear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ HC: hmmm.. I can understand gurl. even I like many ..esp fried stuff.. but don't prepare often as my family doesn't prefer them..:D

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey a nice and useful recipe dear....This time I have extra tomatoes in my house...can try them out :-))

    ReplyDelete
  14. u cooked when u were in 6th??? thats really gr8 siri:)
    and u r right, tomato, onion and rice with some spice can never go wrong:) love it with mint raita...

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Sirisha : Thanks for dropping by and glad to know that u liked the recipe..:)

    @ Sia : Ya, I learnt cooking partially from 6th class. hehe.. and the rice wud taste lovely with raita..:D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simple yet tasty recipe siri! true, can be prepared on a lazy day!:)) post your notebook a few years later! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too cook this often. It is so simple, yet so delicious and filling!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Siri, I linked your entry.Sorry about that, brain and fingers both stop working sometimes!:))

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Latha Aunty: Thanks for dropping by aunty. and with ur blessings I am sure to post my notebook too.

    @ Kumudha: Ya dear, this oldie is cooked in almost all households..:D

    @ Ashaji: Thank you ashaji. U r so sweet..:D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks very nice! Did u say your mom taught u to cook when you were in the 6th std? I was very reluctant to learn even after I got married! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ hehehe... Necessity dear.. my mom was a working woman.. so as a backup she taught me few simple recipes which inlcudes maggi too.. :D glad u like the recipe..:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never had tomato rice, but I have heard about it a lot. Looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ Sandeepa: This recipe is a very common one in our household. Do try it dear... its a very simple one..:)

    ReplyDelete

'Thought is the blossom; language the bud; action the fruit behind it' ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for taking time to leave your feedback.

Note: Any comments with external links will not be published.

Siri

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...