November 5, 2008

Quinoa Vegetable Pancakes

It was my project manager at work place who introduced 'Quinoa' to me and I must confess that I was least interested in the beginning. But as the proverb goes - "Necessity is the mother of Invention", I ran out of rice this weekend and had to experiment with this substitute.

A little of Quinoa (KEEN-wah):




Image credit

Quinoa is a not-so-common item in an American kitchen, which is technically not a true grain, but is the seed of the Chenopodium or Goosefoot plant. When cooked, it has a slightly crunchy texture and a nutty flavor. Studies show that the health benefits of Quinoa are abundant as they are rich in amino acids and essential proteins, much better than 'carbs' that we usually take through rice. Its a great choice for vegans and relatively a high source of calcium, iron and vitamins.

I tried couple of recipes out of Quinoa and all of them turned out to be super-delicious, to my pleasant surprise ofcourse.

Here is one such dish, 'Quinoa Pancakes'..:) - a great way to start out to use this unknown grain..:D



Quinoa Pancakes

Ingredients:

1 cup Veggies (finely chopped): Zucchini, Bell peppers, Onion, Tomatoes
1 cup cooked Quinoa * (look for it in any local grocery stores)
1 egg
1 cup All purpose flour
Salt to taste
1/4 cup Milk
2 tsp Olive Oil

*(Cook as per package instructions. I used my rice cooker with 1 part Quinoa to 2 part water proportion.)

Preparation:

Step 1: Heat a tsp of oil in a wok and saute all the veggies for 3-4 mins. Set aside.

Step 2: In a mixing bowl, combine egg and milk . Add flour and water stirring into a fine batter with a consistency of a pancake batter. Season with salt and add a tsp of olive oil.

Step 3: Finally add in quinoa & veggie mixture and mix well.

Step 4: Heat greased griddle and pour a small batter. Tip to spread out (or) spread with a spoon.

Step 5: Cook one side for 2-3 mins on a medium-low flame and turn over to cook the other side.

Serve hot!

See what my fellow marathon runners are upto:

DK, Valli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Anu, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya, Lakshmi, Raaga, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya, Kamalika, Pavani, Viji

signing off,
Siri

18 comments :

  1. I have a packet of quinoa lying around not knowing wat to make ..Will try these pancakes..

    ReplyDelete
  2. never had quinoa - wonder if its interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious pancakes...prefect breakfast with chocolate spread..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pancakes look delicious...havent heard of quinoa before!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious & Healthy Pancake. Just some days before discovered this great quinoa. We all liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not worked with quinoa.But the pancakes look great and surely healthy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been looking for Quinoa in my grocery store, but never find it. Guess I look in the wrong place. Never tried this and want to have to look harder

    ReplyDelete
  8. new to me Siri. I dont know abt qunio. will chk in the stores I will go. but looking delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting recipe, I too have not tasted Quinoa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never cooked with quinoa but this one seems worth a try

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have this in my pantry.....but not knowing what to do with it.....this onw will mak a hearty bfast.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. have to say, they look pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that looks a hearty pancake:) it looks puffed and rich:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty interesting recipe with quino

    ReplyDelete
  15. pancakes is a nice idea with quinoa. looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never thought to make pancakes with quinoa! I'm certainly going to try this.

    ReplyDelete

'Thought is the blossom; language the bud; action the fruit behind it' ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for taking time to leave your feedback.

Note: Any comments with external links will not be published.

Siri

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...